About This Privacy Notice and PDPA 2010
The Society for the International School of Kuala Lumpur (The International School of Kuala Lumpur), PPM-001-10-15041965 (“the School”) is committed to protecting your privacy and personal data in compliance with the Malaysian Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA) 2010. This Privacy Notice informs you about how we collect and use personal data you provide to the School. The word “You” or any derivation thereof, as used herein refers to the individual who is the subject of the personal data, which may include students and / or parents / legal guardians.
Source of Your Personal Data
Most, if not all, of your personal data is obtained from you (students / parents / legal guardians) directly, either from the following sources or from any other information you have provided and this may include:
- Inquiry Forms;
- Various types of Application and/or Registration Forms;
- All other School and/or support services related Request Forms;
- Previous qualification / assessment related documents and/or certificates.
In some instances, your personal data may have been obtained from external sources including, but not restricted to the following:
- From third parties including previous educational institutions, law enforcement agencies and other government entities;
- Third party service providers and any other future third parties in relation or incidental to the above;
- Personal data which are available in the public domain;
- Personal data which may be collected from cookies through use of the School’s website.
What Personal Data Do We Process?
The School needs to collect and process your child’s and your personal data for various academic, educational and administrative purposes. Generally, the personal data that we collect and process, include but is not restricted to:
Name, identification number (NRIC), personal identifiers, passport number, address, contact numbers, personal / work email address, photos and images, nationality, student’s gender, date of birth, previous qualification, parents’ / guardian’s marital status and employer information, safeguarding / child protection information, emergency contact person(s) details, billing and financial- related information and documents, employment / occupation, children’s native language / level of English knowledge / other languages spoken, information related to the year and the grade for which each child is applying, attendance (such as sessions attended, number of absences, absence reasons and any previous school(s) attended), assessment and attainment information, behavioral information (such as exclusions and any relevant alternative provision put in place), and information from previous teacher(s) references (if applicable) related to the children’s social development, language and mathematical skills or other skills related to previous educational courses.
Please note that to the extent you provide us with personal details of third parties, such as those of your family members, we have assumed that you have obtained their consent for the processing of their personal data by us in accordance with the terms in this Notice.
Sensitive Personal Data
The personal data that we collect and process may include what is defined as ‘sensitive personal data’ under the PDPA and these include, but not restricted to:
Race, religion, records of misconduct and disciplinary action, records of criminal offence, family court orders, biometric data, information related to safeguarding / protection, as well as children’s health and physical condition. For example learning needs and differences, or specific diseases/allergies/food intolerances that require our assistance in terms of organizational facilities and/or our educational support. We will also collect data related to immunizations (vaccinations)
This sensitive information shall be treated carefully by the School and will only be used for specific purposes and disclosed only when strictly necessary.
How Do We Use Our Personal Data?
The purpose for which personal data is collected and further processed includes, but not restricted to the following:
- To process applications for admissions and granting access to our online admissions portal;
- To grant entry into the School’s campus;
- To facilitate new families getting connected with the community groups / liaison;
- To manage and respond to inquiries;
- Carrying out all the necessary organizational activities, including evaluating and placing students in different classes, and checking our capability to provide the necessary support to children and parents;
- Facilitating parental participation by means of a Parent Teacher Association;
- The provision of education and enrichment to our students, including the administration of our curriculum; monitoring student academic progress and educational needs; reporting on the same internally and to parents; administration of students’ entries to public examinations, and providing references for students (including after a student has left);
- The provision of educational support and related services to students;
- Advancement including fundraising;
- To be used for promotional / informational newsletter, emails, videos, and other materials from The International School of Kuala Lumpur
- To maintain students’ personal details, academic and non-academic records;
- To facilitate the internships, placement or work experience as well as co-curricular related activities and other school events;
- To maintain a student/class register;
- To provide the relevant administrative support, counseling and pastoral services;
- To manage use of facilities including library, laboratories and so on;
- To administer the graduation and alumni related events;
- To administer the tuition fee and other payment;
- To communicate with students / parents on any important announcements;
- To collect information for relevant local or international statutory authorities or exam boards;
- To contact student’s next of kin in case of emergency;
- To comply with any regulatory, legal, audit or security related requirements
- To pursue/collect any sums in arrears by our parents/guardians;
- To care for the medical / well-being needs of students;
- Maintaining relationships with our alumni students;
- For keeping a record of historical and memorable events relevant to the maintenance of a historical record;
- For all and any other ancillary purposes relating to our provision of service e.g., the supply of computers, iPads, other forms of telecommunications and technology services;
- Any other purposes related to the smooth running of the School and provision of a full range of services to you.
Provision Of Information
The provision of all information requested for in the relevant forms of the School is mandatory, unless specified otherwise, in enabling us to process your application/request and offer our services to you.
Should you fail to provide the said information, the School may be unable to process your request and/or provide you with the relevant services.
Disclosure Of Your Personal Data
The International School of Kuala Lumpur will keep your personal data confidential and disclosure will only be in instances where it is strictly necessary. The School may disclose your information to the categories of parties as listed below (non-exhaustive) which may also include parties outside of Malaysia, strictly on an as needed basis:
- The Ministry of Education, other relevant government departments/agencies, statutory authorities and industry regulators;
- Malaysian Immigration Department and its appointed agencies;
- Foreign embassies and their appointed agencies;
- Health authorities, hospitals and clinics for health-related matters and emergencies;
- Future schools / educational institutions when the school is listed as a referee;
- The student’s sponsors including his/her parents/guardians;
- The Parent Teacher Association;
- Third parties that provide the internships or attachment placements;
- Professional or accreditation bodies;
- Examination boards;
- Third parties / service vendors appointed by The International School of Kuala Lumpur to provide services to the School including cloud and technology service providers, auditors, lawyers, contractors, printing companies, travel agencies, training organizer and insurance companies;
- Other institutions or companies with a contractual relationship with The International School of Kuala Lumpur
Right To Access And Data Subject’s Obligation
You have the right to access and correct your personal data held by the School under the PDPA. We will attempt to keep your records complete, accurate and up-to-date. If you have any reason to believe the records with us are inaccurate, incomplete or not updated, please notify the School in a timely manner. If you wish to request for access to, or to correct the data held by the School, or withdraw your consent to the data processing/use of your personal data by us, please forward your request to the Marketing & Communications team at [email protected].
The International School of Kuala Lumpur reserves the right to charge you an administrative fee for processing any data access request.
Although, we only process your personal data for purposes as stated above, in the event that your personal data is being processed for other purposes, we will seek your consent.
Please know that although it may, in certain instances, be permissible for you to withdraw / limit your consent to the processing of your personal data for certain purposes, if the provision of personal data by you to ISKL is mandatory pursuant to our business requirements, there may be detrimental consequences to your withdrawal of consent. Depending on the situation, ISKL may not be able to provide certain student / parent-related services to you / your child. It may, in certain situations, lead to the disenrollment of your child from ISKL or inability on ISKL’s part to process your application for admission. Further details will be provided as and when applicable.
Any request to exercise your rights shall be administered as per the PDPA. Please be informed that pursuant to the PDPA, your request may be rejected under certain circumstances.
Amendments to This Privacy Notice
The International School of Kuala Lumpur reserves the right to update this Notice from time to time.