- Student Resources Team (SRT)
- English as an Additional Language (EAL)
- Learning Support
- School Psychologist
- Health Services
The Student Resource Team (SRT) in Middle School aims to provide support and care to ensure that each student becomes a successful learner. The team works with classroom teachers to provide flexible opportunities for students to access the knowledge and understandings included in the curriculum. By using a Response to Intervention (RTI) model, SRT works in collaboration with teachers to ensure that all students are successful.
The Middle School English as an Additional Language (EAL) Program is designed to develop English language competency of EAL students to meet grade level, subject specific, and school expectations. The EAL department scaffolds language acquisition in content and academic concepts to support students so they can access the mainstream curriculum. EAL students are placed in their grade level mainstream humanities, math and science courses. As needed, an English for Academic Purposes (EAP) course provides support for these mainstream classes while developing academic vocabulary and reading skills.
ISKL has adopted the World Class Instructional Design and Assessment (WIDA) Measure of Developing English Language (MODEL) proficiency assessment.
The learning resource program supports students with their learning skills and there is a learning resource specialist at each grade level to assist teachers and students. We use a Response To Intervention (RTI) model with three tiers of support.
- At Tier 1, students of concern will have a team intervention plan with strategies that are implemented in the classroom by all teachers.
- At Tier 2, students take a Skills Support class taught by a grade level Math and Humanities teacher; this class offers extra support with core class content and assignments.
- At Tier 3, students receive both push in and pull out support by a trained special education teacher; students at this level have a case manager, a comprehensive Student Success Plan (SSP), and an individualized support program including both skill building as well as core class support.
Movement in and out of the different tiers of support is decided by teaching teams and the Student Resource Team (SRT). Decisions are data based: grades, MAP, ISA, baseline and progress monitoring data, classroom assessments, and teacher recommendations are all taken into consideration when making placement decisions.
Intensive Learning Support
Life-Centered Education (LCE) focuses on teaching literacy, mathematics, social skills, and life skills to students with intensive special education needs. Individual goals are outlined on ISKL Student Success Plans (SSP), which are developed after evaluation by an Educational Psychologist. Goals outlined on the SSP are addressed daily in Life-Centered Education classes.
For more information on the Life-Centered Education (LCE) please contact Ms. Julia Love at email@example.com.
Our counselors are here to assist your child with their social, emotional, and academic development. Proper academic placement into ISKL's Middle School program is an important part of the counselor's' role. Our counselors also provide parental support through various programs and workshops on topics such as life transitions, navigating media & technology use, and challenges related to raising middle schoolers.
Our school psychologist provides a multitude of services for our students. These include but are not limited to:
- Short-term counseling for students and family
- Crisis prevention and intervention
- Program development for at-risk students
- Accommodation applications for external exams
- Collaboration with community-based psychiatrists and other professionals to monitor and support students receiving mental health services
- Psychological assessments to inform school-based services
- Referrals to outside agencies for assessments
- Collaborates with and supports administration team, counseling team, and Student Resource Team (SRT)
There is a full-time nurse consistently on duty in a well-equipped clinic to deal with emergencies, administer prescription medicine, and treat minor ailments. Services are also available on-site during sporting events and after-school activities. ISKL health services also serve as a resource for health and lifestyle-related issues for students.
Middle & High School Clinic
Hours: 6:00 am - 6:00 pm
E: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
P: +603 4813 5223/5224/5225